River uses Plaid, a global leader in financial technology, to link bank accounts to facilitate bitcoin buys and sells on the platform. We currently support two ways of linking your bank account: Online Banking Authentication and Manual Authentication.
Manual Authentication may be required if:
- You have 2-factor authentication enabled for your online banking account;
- or you are unable to find your bank listed by Plaid.
Online Banking Authentication
In order to buy and sell Bitcoin on River Financial, we will need to verify your personal information. Once verified, you will be prompted to connect a bank account.
1. To link a bank account, go to the Settings page, which can be accessed in the top right corner of the web application. If you have not yet linked a bank account, you can also access this page by clicking “Buy Bitcoin” on your Overview page.
2. Under the "Linked Bank Accounts" section, click “Add”
3. You will be using Plaid to link your bank account.
4. Please select your bank.
5. You will be prompted to enter your online banking credentials associated with the bank account you wish to link.
6. You will then be prompted to select the bank account associated with the online banking credentials you have entered. It is important to note that you will only be able to link one bank account at a time. At this time, we only support checking accounts.
Congratulations! You can click “Continue” to be redirected back to the River web application. You will now be able to see this bank account reflected in your “Linked Bank Accounts” section.
1. If your bank does not support automatic verification, you will need to manually verify your bank account. You will be using Plaid to manually link your bank account.
2. If you are unable to find your bank or meet any of the conditions under Manual Authentication required, please click “Link with account numbers” to proceed with manual authentication.
3. You will now begin the process of manually authenticating your bank account.
4. You will be prompted to enter your full name.
5. Please select whether you would like to link your Checking or Savings account.
6. Please select whether you will be using a Personal or Business account.
7. Please enter the routing number for your account. This number is a sequence of nine digits and can be found online or on your physical check.
8. Please enter the account number for your account. This number is usually between eight and 12 digits and can be found online, on your monthly account statements, and on your physical check.
9. Please confirm the account number for your account.
10. Please click “Authorize” to allow deposits and withdrawals from your bank account. In order to verify your account, Plaid will make two small deposits for you to confirm. These deposits will be withdrawn after verification.
11. Once you have completed the steps above, you will receive two micro deposits from River in approximately one business day. Please periodically check your bank account activity for two deposits in the range of $0.01 – $0.99."
12. On your Settings page, you will now see this bank account show up in your Linked Bank Accounts section. Once you have received the deposits to your account, select “Verify Deposits.”
13. Please enter the amount of the chronologically first micro deposit from River to your bank account.
14. Please enter the amount of the chronologically second micro deposit from River to your bank account.
Congratulations! You can click “Continue” to go back to the River web application. This bank account will now show up on your account and be available for use.