Meet the Team: Maria Okeke
1. What made you decide to pursue a career in Bitcoin?
Bitcoin has the potential to completely change the existing financial environment through financial inclusivity. I want to help shape that future.
2. What’s your role at River Financial?
As the Director of Finance at River, I’m responsible for financial reporting, budgeting & forecasting, internal accounting and financing strategy.
3. What did you do before joining River?
I oversaw the financial operations of a fund complex with assets of over $500mm at GCM Grosvenor. Prior to my time at GCM Grosvenor, I performed financial statement audits for financial statement companies at EY, including hedge funds, private equity funds and investment advisors.
4. What projects or advancements do you think are most exciting in the Bitcoin space right now?
I’m most excited about the opportunities for accounting professionals in the Bitcoin space. It’s inspiring to see the amount of knowledge sharing amongst accounting professionals in a relatively new industry.
5. Where do you see Bitcoin in 10 years?
In ten years, I see Bitcoin as a commonplace financial instrument used by people around the world in their daily lives.
6. Describe Bitcoin in 5 words or less.
Inclusive, Open, Resilient, Innovative, Misunderstood
7. What are some of your favorite hobbies or interests?
I’m completely obsessed with traveling. When I’m not traveling, I’m usually planning my next adventure. In the last two years, I’ve visited 27 countries in 6 continents. My favorite destinations were Mexico City, São Paulo and Ubud.