Meet the Team: João Mesquita
1. What made you decide to pursue a career in Bitcoin?
Working on Bitcoin is the highest leverage activity where I can apply my skills and make a positive contribution to a better future and exciting present.
2. What’s your role at River Financial?
I am a Software Engineer at River, currently focused on developing the front-end interface of our brokerage product.
3. What did you do before joining River?
Co-founded Koala Studio and launched Lightning Chess, the world's first online chess game with micropayment features enabled by the Bitcoin Lightning Network. Prior to that I created satoshis.place and worked as a full-stack developer for various companies in and out of the industry.
4. What projects or advancements do you think are most exciting in the Bitcoin space right now?
Various developments within the Lightning Network like MPP, eltoo, and the developments of games and services built on this technology. For Bitcoin, I'm excited about PSBT, Schnorr, Taproot and Miniscript.
5. Where do you see Bitcoin in 10 years?
Bitcoin will become a mainstream savings technology and increasingly used as a medium of exchange via the Lightning Network. An increasing number of people begin to opt out of the legacy financial system. Bitcoin privacy wars will have begun in earnest and proposals on interplanetary scaling will be dropped on the mailing list.
6. Describe Bitcoin in 5 words or less.
The internet of money.
7. What are some of your favorite hobbies or interests?
I love to travel!